Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Kawa Karpo, Yunnan: Northwest of Shangrila are the sacred peaks of the Kawa Karpo range. The bus-ride here was one of the most intense and beautiful rides I've ever been on.


Alternating between sweeping valleys and dizzying gorges, the road winds it's way up and up toward the six snowy peaks over 6000m.



As we climbed, civilization dwindled to a few tents and nomad huts like this one.



We passed the beginnings of two legendary rivers, the Yangtze and the Mekong. The first bend of the Yangtze is sight to see from the road, snaking around a mountain, hundreds of meters below.



We woke up early to share the sunrise with the mountain and the pilgrims who had traveled there to pay their respects. (My camera was giving me trouble so the final results are a little disappointing. Trust me when I say though, it's the most amazing set of mountains I've seen yet.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home