Wednesday, July 05, 2006


Shangrila, Yunnan: I've now begun teaching in earnest. ETLI offers classes to all ages and right now I'm teaching a primary class (ages 8-11) and an adult class (19-35). My students are lovely: bright and enthusiastic and a little bit feisty. Actually, I have the feeling my primary students could get a little too feisty if I let them. They all call me "Teacher" and as much as I've tried to discourage them, still stand and shout in unison, "Good-Morning Teach-er" at the beginning of class. (Some get confused and shout in Chinese.) Just since I've been teaching them, they've begun to loosen up a little and now they chatter and laugh as we do activities. Last class the overall effect was more like a happy circus than a class but we had a good time and they're learning really quickly. They're cute as buttons.

My adult class is great too. They know some basic English already so I hope by the end of the month we'll be conversing like good buddies. Here we are at our favorite Tibetan restaurant. Can you tell we've been drinking butter tea non-stop?

Last week we organized a party to boost enrollment for the summer session. Mostly, we played Pin the Tail on the Yak and ate lots of junk food and I think it was a big success!

Ann, Xioa yun and Liu, ETLI synchronized balloon team:


Musical chairs was a big hit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home